These times we are living in can wear on your soul and leave you feeling empty, alone, lost, feeling like you are not doing enough, and so much more. It will be easy to follow what everyone else is doing, but I firmly believe that we are not to follow everyone. We are to partner with God to see what He wants us to do. We have not all been called to the same things. We are unique, right?
So, if we are unique, then how come we get so wrapped up in the world with chaos, discouragement, anxiety, confusion, and so much more in our spirit? How can we get to our best when we are uncertain about everything or feel as though we are no one unless we are engaging and showing up in life just like those around us. We gotta show up in life like US. I gotta show up in life like ME. You gotta show up in life like YOU. When we are not fully grounded its so hard to know which way to go.
For me, I love the comfort, peace and freedom I experience on a daily basis. Life has not always felt that way, but I know now that this feels so much better. I make a decision to always stay grounded and near the source where all my truth, guidance, peace and everything comes from, so I want to share a bit of what I do to stay grounded.
1. I start each day with gratitude. I always want to experience joy and have peace, so in order for that to happen, I must give thanks. To be eternally grateful for all that I have been given. Food, a home, I try to wake up with joy in my spirit with excitement and gratitude for a brand new day. I believe each day we have been given is a gift.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
2. I spend time with God. I call it my quiet time. Early morning, I grab my bible, a cup of coffee, my pen bag that is filled with colorful markers and pens, a journal, and sometimes a book then head out to the front porch without my phone to unplug. I sit, read the bible, listen, pray, wait for strategies and downloads then write them down. If I had a dream, I would jot that down in my journal as well.
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
3. I turn on worship music. I plug my ears almost on a daily basis with my headphones to have sounds of worship around me as I work and paint. It helps to drown out false narratives that try to slip into my mind, it helps me focus, and reminds me of truth throughout the day.
Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs
4. I partner with Holy Spirit. I believe I must walk in truth and believe God for everything He says. I want to be everything that Jesus called me to be. I must follow Jesus himself and not man. Jesus is THE truth and man’s hearts can be deceived.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
John 16:13-14 ESV
5. I think good thoughts. I have trained myself over the years to replace bad thoughts with the truth and that leaves me with peace and joy. I am able to believe what God says about me and not the opinions of others. My mind had to be transformed as I embraced the scripture to not be conformed to this world. I try to hold every thought captive as it comes into my mind.
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV
I hope that encourages you to keep yourself grounded in the midst of everything going on around us so that you too can experience everlasting joy, peace, truth, comfort and freedom with a firm foundation to stand on.